The surgery prides itself in maintaining professional standards.
For certain examinations during consultations an impartial observer (a “Chaperone”) will be required.
If a nurse is unavailable at the time of your consultation then your examination may be re-scheduled for another time. You may also request a chaperone for any examination or consultation if one is not offered to you.
You are free to decline any examination or choose an alternative examiner or chaperone. The GP may not undertake an examination if a chaperone is declined.
The role of a chaperone:
- Maintains professional boundaries during intimate examinations
- Acknowledges a patient’s vulnerability
- Provides emotional comfort and reassurance
- Assists in the examination
- Assists with undressing patients, if required